Thursday, March 29, 2007

From one extreme to the other

Good-bye Tony, Michaela (Mickey) and Sarah. I'll miss you three the most.
On Wednesday Emma approached me and said that they wanted to switch my H6 class with Will's H5 class. I wasn't sure why, but I said it was fine. I was getting really fed up with that class, not because of the kids so much, but more because the material (history, science and grammar all squeezed into each class) The kids hated it and had do desire to talk about what we were supposed to and I unfortunately didn't have the time to chat about other things and still get everything completed. All that combined made for some bad times. But then faced with losing the kids made me think of all the good times we had (mainly just during intensives when we had ample time to chat and joke around) In the end I thought even if I end up with Will's bad class it would be good for a change. He said that he was tired of them speaking Korean and never doing their homework. Now I'm teaching Geography, grammar and reading, which is SO much better for me!

Yesterday was my first day with my new class and as it turns out there are two girls who I had in a class 4 months ago. They were even more bubbly than before, which was a wonderful change from the bumps on logs I just got rid of. We had a wonderful class of chit-chatting, while still getting the work done. AND they all love to read!! They were atually fighting over who got to read next and they all wanted to read the most. The other class hated reading and it was just such a struggle to get through it. Not only is what we're reading now more interesting for me, but they like it too. They answered all the branching out questions I asked and then went on to talk more. No one was rude to me and they know that they're not going to be speaking any Korean or they're going to have to stand in the corner with their arms up. (I'm learning that nothing happens to them if I send them to the counter, so this punishment is better) Although I only met half of the class (and apparently the ones who were not there were the troublesome ones) I have a good feeling about this class and its going to be wonderful! This means that I love ALL of my classes!! Its going to be a good month.

3 Comments:

At 2:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I just love reading this blog hahaha and you sound like a good teacher

punishment... hahah that would never fly here

 
At 7:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

a fun reading game you can play:
Students take turns reading as normal, but any time a student pronounces a word incorrectly, any other student can cry out "False Teeth!" (maybe explain that word to them) and say the word properly, and continue on reading. Or you could use Cathy's nick-name that Dan Timmons gave her "mush-mouth" hahahaha (like from Fat ALbert)

 
At 1:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yay!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home